Have you ever looked at a friend’s gorgeous lashes and wondered why yours don’t look like that? Just like with the hair on your head, your eyelashes also can have a type, which means you should choose a mascara that can enhance what your mama gave you.
In an ever-growing pool of mascara types and features, how do you know the right one for you? The best place to start is with a little self-reflection.
Know Thy Lash
Take a good, hard look at your lashes. Are they straight as a board, or do they curl naturally? Are they pale and thin, or are you blessed with dark, lush, thick lashes? Have you noticed that your beautiful, long lashes now seem sparse and stubby?
Once you have a realistic understanding of what your lashes are, you can find the right makeup to give you the lash you wish you were born with.
All the Options
If you’ve ever spent much time searching for a new mascara, you know the possibilities are endless. Instead of wasting hours in the makeup aisle or counter, you should know the benefits to achieve your best eye.
Here are a few types of formulas that can work well for you:
- Conditioning – to help stimulate growth and nourish your lashes
- Strengthening – perfect for weak, thin eyelashes that need extra support
- Moisturizing – to keep you lashes healthy and supple
- Thickening – take your lashes to the next level by plumping up individual strands
- Volumizing – full, lush lashes start with this formula
- Water-proof – for workouts and hot days to keep your makeup where you put it
- Sensitive formula – when your eyes don’t take kindly to the rest
You may want to have a few different types for natural, daytime looks or dramatic, evening sultriness.
Another factor you may want to consider when choosing mascara is the applicator shape. A thick, fat brush can pump up the volume, while a skinny brush with short bristles is better for lengthening. If your straight lashes need some encouragement, you may want to go with a curved brush to help shape them.