Collagen is making headlines for having many health benefits. Taking a collagen supplement benefits your brain, heart and digestive system. It can ease knee and joint pain. One study showed a marked improvement in back pain after taking collagen supplements for six months. Another study demonstrates that collagen is important for brain health and may reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
What is Collagen
Collagen is a protein that naturally occurs in your body. It gives your skin strength and elasticity. At its simplest, collagen is the glue that holds the body together. About 30 percent of the total protein in your body is collagen. Collagen is produced by your body to support the cells of your digestive system, skin, bones, cartilage, muscles, eyes and hair. Your body produces collagen for healing and health. Unfortunately, as you age, the amount of collagen that is produced is diminished.
Most people associate collagen with skin health. Collagen has been shown to reduce wrinkles, boost skin hydration, prevent UV damage and improve skin elasticity. It’s also been shown to enhance nail strength and growth. Collagen also benefits joints, tendons and ligaments, by reducing joint pain and swelling. Collagen is the protein that helps your skin heal when the tissue is damaged.
How Does Collagen Enhance Hair?
Scientists are still researching the role collagen plays in the hair cycle, but early studies show that the decrease in collagen production is related to early hair loss, thinning and graying. A deficiency of collagen is thought to trigger aging in hair cells, which causes the hair to thin or fall out. Collagen helps to create new hair.
Collagen increases blood circulation to your scalp, which promotes hair growth and health. Good blood flow ensures that your hair is getting the nutrients it needs to help your hair grow faster. Collagen also treats dry and brittle hair by increasing moisture levels and repairing split ends. Collagen supports the production of amino acids, which are required to support keratin protein, the main building block of hair.
Collagen supplements can also aid hair regrowth. Because it is an antioxidant, it neutralizes the free radicals that damage hair follicles. Hair can grow normally. Poor nutrition is a common cause of thinning hair. Collagen supports your healthy nutritional efforts.
Products Applied to Hair
Include hair products with collagen like the Kerastase Specifique Masque Hydra which earned the Beauty O-Ward from Oprah Magazine Fall 2017 in your routine. This hair mask gently cleans the scalp and provides moisture to hair follicles. Other hair products we recommend:
- Homme Capital Force Treatment Shampoo Vita Energising Effect – this product is designed for men who want to strengthen hair follicles and revitalize their hair. It’s a shampoo that can be used daily for maximum effectiveness.
- Oribe Gold Lust Transformative Masque – use this mask regularly to restore elasticity to your hair and to strengthen weak strands. Just massage into the hair and scalp, leave on for a few minutes, then rinse. The mask will restore the luster to dry locks.
Taking collagen supplements benefits your hair and skin:
- Hairfinity Collagen Booster Capsules – make your hair look shinier through support from the inside. You’ll have bouncier, healthier hair with these natural supplements that make your hair more resistant to damage such as dryness or split ends.
- Hairfinity Healthy Hair Vitamins – get amino acids, collagen, vitamins A, D, B12 and niacin from this supplement designed to promote growth, blood circulation and oxygenation for your scalp.
- IMAGE Skincare YANA Daily Collagen Supplement – include collagen in your daily diet for an added boost of antioxidants and anti-aging proteins.
Collagen Is King
Beautiful hair isn’t just about genetics. By taking care of your hair and body, you can have a positive effect on the growth and thickness of hair you do have. Along with proper nutrition, you should also avoid damaging your hair with heat or through over-washing. Let your hair dry naturally when possible. Use a heat protectant when using a straightener or curling iron.
Learn more about the benefits of collagen in skin-care routines and daily care when you check out our blog. Collagen benefits for hair leave you feeling and looking better when you have the products that make your hair shine. LaLaDaisy makes it easy to achieve a natural look by providing a wide array of high quality beauty products that fit your needs. Check out our array of collagen products today.