One of the most exciting things about summer coming around is new beauty trends, brighter colors, and summer products. Moving from the cold to warm weather is such a fun time to mix up your beauty routines and add some new items to your product arsenal.
UV rays from the sun are a huge threat to your skin’s health and appearance. It’s important to take great care of your skin all year round, but especially in the summer months.
- Sunscreen (face): Keeping your skin safe from the sun in a non-negotiable these days. You’ll especially need to take some extra care to keep your skin safe and protected once the summer rolls around. A face sunscreen is essential to wear under your makeup in order to keep those sun spots at bay.
- Sunscreen (body): Another given is a great sunscreen for the rest of your body while you are out in the sun enjoying the beach or the nearest pool. A good sunscreen can reduce your risk of skin cancer and early aging. Make sure to choose a high SPF and broad-spectrum sunscreen and reapply at least every 2 hours.
- If you do find yourself in the sun all day, it’s a good idea to find an after-sun lotion that can help repair and soothe your skin. It’s especially helpful to find a lotion or cream that promotes collagen repair as it soothes your sunburn.
There are some fantastic skin care products to add to your stash as the summer months approach. Your skin’s needs may change as the weather changes, so it’s great to know which products can enhance your summer look.
- Body Bronzer: Everyone wants their skin to be illuminating and sun-kissed even without the UV damage. A good body bronzer is a great way to get the same look without the aging effects. Find a product that can be used on your face and your body to get an all-over glow.
- Mattifier: Our faces can accumulate a lot of oil and dirt that wreaks havoc. This is amplified in the hot weather. A solution to this problem is an oil control mattifier. This is a cream that comes to the rescue to remove oil and sweat from the face, creating a smooth canvas for makeup application.
Hot weather and sticky, humid climates can be hard on any makeup application. To avoid having smudges or smears, lightening your makeup routine is key. Finding products that give a subtle coverage without being too thick or too much is perfect for this time of year.
Another great tip for summer makeup is to remember to change out your winter colors for summer colors. As your skin starts to look sun-kissed, it’s important to make sure that your tinted moisturizer, concealer, and/or foundation match your new skin tone. Also, summertime is a time to pull out your brighter colors. Lips and cheeks look great in the summer-time with a pop of color.
Here are some products to think about incorporating for a summer makeup routine:
- Bronzer: A illuminating bronzer with micro shimmer gives a subtle sun-kissed glow to the cheek line and forehead. Make your bronzer count by applying it in the right places, rather than all over the face. Be sure to blend harsh lines that show up and if you use a bronzer with metallics, be careful not to apply too much.
- Tinted Moisturizer: If you want light coverage for those hot summer days, a tinted moisturizer is the way to go. It’ll even out your skin tone without giving your make-up a chance to smear or run in the heat.
- Blush: Pops of color are encouraged for a summer-time look. Apply a peach or coral blush to give a youthful glow. Blush should be applied on the apples of the cheeks to give some extra color to the face.
- If you are dealing with humidity or plan on taking a dip in the pool, a good waterproof mascara and eyeliner is a must. Another pro tip in the warmer weather is to skip applying mascara on the lower lashes since oils and sweat seem to collect under the eyes.
- Eyelash Curler: In achieving a more natural and subtle look, curling your lashes is a perfect way to enhance your lashes and bring more volume to your eyes without a lot of eye makeup. A good eyelash curler is a girl’s best friend.
- Lip Gloss: A bright color is great with the warmer weather, but it often proves difficult to keep a bright lipstick in place all day in the warmer months so a bright gloss is a great option. Coral, pinks, and other floral colors are on-trend in the heat.
- Lip Protection: Along with a fun colored gloss, don’t forget to protect your lips from the UV rays. Apply a lip balm with SPF in the morning and evening to keep your lips moisturized and protected from the sun.
Your skin isn’t the only thing that needs protection in the summer sun. It’s important to make sure your hair is protected as well.
- Protective Spray: It’s always a good idea to find a sun protective hair spray that can shield your hair from harmful UV damage. Spray in your hair in the morning when you style and then enjoy your day in the sun without worrying about it getting damaged.
- After Sun Care: The sun can really take a toll on your hair. Dry, sun damaged hair can be prevented if you are keeping up on making sure it’s moisturized. A moisturizing treatment to help rejuvenate your hair after being out in the sun is a great way to keep your hair looking shiny and healthy.
- Styling Products: Summertime screams beach waves and natural curl. While we all wish we could hop in the ocean and let our hair air-dry for perfect beachy waves, not all of us have that luxury. There are products that will help create the perfect beach wave or the perfect natural curl. One way to achieve the beach waves you are looking for is a texturizing spray. There are also great leave-in conditioners, gels, and even shampoos and conditioners that are designed to help your hair create its own curl and wave.
- Clarifying Shampoo: The heat can bring on a lot of extra build-up in the hair. Occasionally sweat, oil, and product build-up need to be cleared from the hair. A clarifying shampoo is a must to have on hand in order to get the cleanest hair possible. Use the clarifying shampoo anytime you feel like your hair has a thick build up in it, but be sure not to use it too often.
Other Summer Must Haves
Summer Nails: A fun way to ring in the summertime is to enjoy some new colored nails with some fun nail polish. A gel nail polish is a good idea for the summer because it is chip proof. Bright colors and neon are great summer colors.
Foot Care: In the summer, the feet, especially your heels, can take a beating and get extremely dry. It’s important to exfoliate and buff down your rough heels with a good foot buffer. Applying a good foot cream is also a good idea to keep those feet flip flop ready.
Body Scrub: To get a great canvas for a smooth shave during the summer as well as getting your skin ready to bronze, a body scrub is crucial. Make your skin polished and beautifully buffed before it is out for the world to see.